Thursday 7 March 2013

New challenge

I have decided to join the 2013 'Pan-species list for a 1k square' challenge. Basically, this is a record of all the species that are found in a 1 kilometre square of my choice during 2013.

The 1k square I have chosen is centred around C 256 038, and I have chosen it because it contains a very wide cross-section of habitat types from hedgerow to woodland, ancient walls, bog, rough pasture and a stream.

The progress can be found under the '1k challenge' tab at the top of this blog.

Although I'm starting late (7th March) I don't think I'll have missed too many species during January and February.

Today I walked the route for around 50 minutes and recorded 75+ species in that time. (I still have a couple of things to put under the microscope). I will have missed many more species and will update the list as I do the transect on my frequent walks in that area.

I plan to record everything that I can identify, from birds and animals through flowering plants, trees, insects, fungi, mosses, liverworts and lichens, so I expect to compile a list of several hundred species by December.

The progress of other participants, along with a 'league table', can be found at: http://1000for1ksq.blogspot.ie/


1 comment:

The Weaver of Grass said...

Interesting project Stuart and just the sort of thing to get you really looking (not that I think you need anything to get you looking).

You might be interested to look at the web site for our local nature reserve. I compile cryptic quizzes to sell for their funds on various aspects of wildlife and we keep raising a hundred pounds or so each time.

The reserve is on Catterick Garrison, the largest army garrison in the country. Have a look at their web site
Foxglove Covert