Monday 24 August 2009

Biter bit, part 2

I've previously explained how Tachinids are parasitic on larvae of moths and butterflies. This shot shows a Scathophaga Dungfly with a Tachinid as its prey. And so the food chain continues.


I found this dead Cicadella viridis on a grass stem. My eyes were drawn to the open-wing configuration and immediately my fungal radar kicked in. It turns out that several species of the Entomophthora family are parasitic on leafhoppers, so the research continues.


I'm pretty sure I can see signs of pink fungus appearing between the abdominal tergites.


I'm not quite sure what's going on with this Carder Bumblebee. Its baskets are empty, and it is moribund (and wet!). Maybe the hive has run its course for the year.


This is Neuroctena anilis, a snail-killing fly. In common with most other parasites, its flight pattern is quite distinctive, with lots of controlled hovering as they search for hosts for their eggs:


This specimen of Frosted Orange moth is a little early, which is pretty surprising, considering how cold and wet it has been for the past 40 or so days.

No comments: