Sunday 9 March 2008

Mosses, lichens and liverworts, oh my!

Original Hedgerow, leg 1, whilst on a film shoot. One of the things I have to do when on these shoots is 'pretend to be taking a photograph'. What better way to pretend than actually taking shots?

This first shot - on a wall - shows a lichen (Cladonia pyxidata, pale green, centre with pink, embryonic fruitbodies), at least three mosses:Bryum capillare (olive-brown rosettes dotted around the image), Homalothecium sericium (silver-tipped shoot, left of centre), and an unidentified specimen with curled leaves (right edge).


This shot shows the liverwort Lunularia cruciata, with its diagnostic moon-shaped gemmae cups, with gemmae (little bundles of cells that develop into new specimens) spilling out.

This could potentially be a very confusing shot. The central 'specimen' is in fact two mosses. The pale grey cushion in the foreground is Grimmia pulvinata, and the capsules and setae at the rear belong to a specimen of Tortula muralis, which is hidden behind the Grimmia.This is a moss: Plagiothecium undulatum. I find it very reminiscent of a minute fern.

This moss forms 'boots' around all the trees and bushes around here: Hypnum cupressiforme.


It was raining, so I got a couple of water-droplet-shots. The large droplet to the left is on the capsule of Bryum capillare, and the smaller droplet to the right is on Tortula muralis.


Here's the Bryum capsule in closeup:

5 comments:

Mick T. said...

Nice pics, especially the waterdrops.

BTW, good blog, educational and enjoyable.

Mick

Anonymous said...

I love your photos! Great image of the droplet.

Your new site is great, by the way. I like the way you've used the labels to make cross-referencing easier.

I sent you an email about the butterflies, but I figure you probably know about that. It just reminded me of your work :)

- heather

Dragonstar said...

I think I've mentioned before that I'm almost uneducated when it comes to mosses, lichens and liverworts. These posts are teaching me gently, thank you.
I love the water-droplet shots, and I'm glad of the identification of the Plagiothecium undulatum - I would never have considered that as a moss!

Anonymous said...

The water drops have it, brilliant pics.

Gill said...

Yes, the water drops are wonderful aren't they? Little lenses - I like to tyr and work out what they are imaging :-)